- Police Division
- Golf Cart & Under Speed Vehicle Inspection Program
Golf Cart & Under Speed Vehicle Inspection Program
Licensing & Operation
Ohio Law allows a municipality to authorize licensing and operation of golf carts and under speed vehicles (USV) within the corporate limits of the municipality as long as equipment standards are met on each vehicle. To be street legal, golf carts or USVs must have the following:
- 2 Brake lights
- Turn signals
- Rearview mirror
- License plate lights
- Windshield Wiper
- Seat Belts
More important items to be aware of:
- Golf carts or USVs must also not be capable of traveling over 20 mph.
- An Ohio operator's license is required to operate the golf cart or USV.
- There has to be a seat belt for every occupant on the golf cart or USV.
- Children must utilize child restraint seats as required by the Ohio Revised Code.
- Proof of Insurance must be presented at the time of Inspection.
- Your golf cart or USV must have a VIN (vehicle identification number) please know where this is located on your vehicle and make sure it is clean and readable.
Carts and USVs must be Inspected by a Law Enforcement Officer. This service is provided to all Bowling Green residents who seek to operate their golf carts or USV on legal roadways within the city as defined in Bowling Green (BG) ordinance 75.18. At least once per year the Bowling Green Police Division may hold an inspection event in areas of the city with a high number of golf carts. Notice of such events will be posted by the city at least 2 weeks prior to the scheduled event. Otherwise, Individuals must bring the cart to the Police Division. Appointments may be made by calling 419-352-1131. Inspections are available by appointment only, Monday through Friday from 9 am to 3 pm.
Each golf cart that passes inspection will be authorized to purchase a title from the Wood County Title Office and registration/license plates from the Bureau of Motor Vehicles. These plates must be affixed to the front and rear of the golf cart. Golf carts that become licensed will be restricted to 25 miles per hour roadways as indicated in BG Ordinance 75.18. (any 25 miles per hour zone excluding all of Main Street and all of Wooster Street). Be sure to familiarize yourself with restricted areas.
For a detailed list of legal mandates that are necessary for licensing, safety equipment, and more information, refer to Ohio Revised Code Section 4503.10 and 4501:2-1. All carts and USVs presented for inspection must meet those standards set forth before being considered for inspection. This inspection process does not apply to ATV or UTVs, only golf carts and USV (Under Speed Vehicle less than 20 miles per hour). Golf Cart and USV drivers are required to follow the same rules as other drivers. For example, driving under the influence laws and insurance laws apply to anyone driving a golf cart on public roads. For questions not answered, please contact Lieutenant Dan Mancuso.
Golf Cart & USV Legal Requirements
- Ohio Revised Code 4510.12 - Requires a valid driver's license for any operation of a motor vehicle on public or private property.
- Ohio Revised Code 4510.263 - One seatbelt per occupant of the cart.
- Ohio Revised Code 4510.81 - A child safety seat installed to manufacturer specifications for any occupant under the age of four or under 40 pounds in weight.
- Ohio Revised Code 4510.81 - A child booster seat installed to manufacturer specifications for any occupant between the ages of four and eight or under 49 inches in height.
- Ohio Revised Code 4509.101 - Must show proof of insurance on a listed golf cart.
- Ohio Revised Code 4513.05 - Must be equipped with a rear taillight (only one is required).
- Ohio Revised Code 4513.05 - Must have light to illuminate license plate and make license plate legible from a distance of 50-feet.
- Ohio Revised Code 4513.071 - Must have two working brake lights.
- Ohio Revised Code 4513.04 - Must have two headlights.
- Ohio Revised Code 4513.21 - Must have an operating horn.
- Ohio Revised Code 4513.23 - Must have a rearview mirror
- Ohio Revised Code 4513.24 - Must have a windshield (safety glass) and a wiper.
- Ohio Revised Code 4513.261 - Must have operating directional signals.
- Ohio Revised Code 4513.21 - Must have brackets for mounting two license plates (front and back).