Historic Preservation Commission
- To confirm meeting schedule call the Planning Department Office at 419-354-6218
- Administrative Services Building
304 N Church Street
Bowling Green, OH 43402
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
The Historic Preservation Commission consists of 5 members, appointed by the Mayor.
The commission was established to preserve, promote, encourage and support the maintenance, use and reuse of historic buildings in the city. The purpose of the commission is to foster civic beauty, stabilize and increase property values, strengthen the local economy, maintain and enhance the distinctive character, safeguard the city’s heritage, and facilitate reinvestment and revitalization through historic preservation.
The commission adopted a 3-Year Strategic Plan (PDF) on February 22, 2022. The plan is intended to guide and focus the commission activities for 2022 to 2025.
Historic Property Owners
The City has a Historic Preservation Ordinance that provides a process to protect the character of historic structures. Any owner interested in creating a historic district or for local historic designation of a property, can start the process by submitting the Request or Consent to Designate Historic Property Form (PDF).
The City was also approved by the National Park Service on June 16, 2021 to be a Certified Local Government.
National Historic Preservation Month
Thank you for your interest in the scavenger hunt in honor of National Historic Preservation Month! Although the scavenger hunt has expired, here is the link to the Blank Scavenger Hunt and the Scavenger Hunt Answers.
- 11-2-2020 Diagram of Local Designation Process (PDF)
- 11-2-2020 Sampen Historic Preservation Commission PowerPoint for Council (PDF)
- 6-28-19 Historic Preservation Office Presentation Slide Show (PDF)
- Frequently Asked Questions of Proposed Ordinance (PDF)
- Historic Preservation Ordinance (PDF)
- Transmittal Letter to City Council (PDF)