The Engineering Department is responsible for the following activities:
- Perform engineering, surveying, and design of City water, sewer, pavement, sidewalks, and other projects as needed.
- Maintain records, create bid documents, project plans, and maps of City Infrastructure.
- Review and approve private construction site plans for site grading, drainage, storm sewer, storm detention, sanitary sewer, and water.
- Inspect work on City projects, private construction projects, and in the City Right-of-Way for compliance with City standards and specifications.
Request for Qualifications
- Public Notice for North Circuit Improvements RFQ (PDF)
- Northern Electrical Distribution Improvements 8-8-2023 (PDF)
Pedestrian Hybrid Beacon (PHB)
Due to the amount of pedestrian traffic crossing East Wooster, the Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT), City of Bowling Green, and Bowling Green State University conducted a joint safety study funded by ODOT to determine if more crosswalks were needed. As a result of this work, four additional crosswalks were recently installed - also funded by ODOT. Two of these locations feature a PHB - one across from Founders Hall (east of Troup, near Bowling Green State University Lot Q) and one at the Stroh Center.
A pedestrian hybrid beacon is a pedestrian activated warning device located on the roadside or on mast arms over midblock pedestrian crossings. The beacon consists of three lights, 2 red lights over 1 yellow light. The beacon is dark until a pedestrian hits the activation button, at which time the yellow light will begin blinking followed by a solid yellow light alerting motorists to prepare to stop.
Solid red lights will then be displayed telling drivers that they must stop while pedestrians cross. Once the red lights begin to blink, motorists may proceed if the crosswalk is clear of pedestrians. At the conclusion of the lighting sequence, the blinking red lights will stop and the beacon will go dark again. The entire interval at both locations will be programmed to last approximately 30 seconds.