What do I need a Zoning Permit for and how long does it take?

There are several types of projects zoning permits are required for, so it is always best to call the Planning Department at 419-354-6218 to inquire about your specific project. Examples of the types of items that need zoning permits include:

  • Accessory building
  • Accessory dwelling units
  • Addition
  • Alteration
  • Change in roof pitch
  • Change-in-use
  • Conditional use
  • Decks
  • Driveway
  • Fence
  • Hot tub
  • New construction
  • Patio
  • Pool
  • Sign
  • Stairs, etc.

Permit fees ranges between $5 to $50 and a complete fee sheet is listed on the Planning Department Fees page. Permit applications are available in the office, on the Planning Forms page or via email. A scaled sketch is required showing the proposed construction and measurements from all property lines. In some cases, the Planning Department might have a prior sketch that could be copied and the proposed new construction shown on the copy. Permit applications take about 7 days to process, and can be dropped off at the Planning office with the required fee and sketch or mailed to:
Planning Department
305 N Main Street
Bowling Green, OH 43402

Also, your construction project may require a building permit, in addition to a zoning permit, from Wood County Building Inspection. The City recommends calling Wood County Building Inspection directly to inquire about a building permit at 419-354-9190.

Show All Answers

1. What do I need a Zoning Permit for and how long does it take?
2. Do I need a permit for a temporary shed, or a shed on skids?
3. Does my contractor need to be licensed?
4. Do I need a permit for an inflatable swimming pool?
5. Do I need a permit for a hot tub?
6. I am replacing an existing fence. Do I need a permit?
7. How close to the property line can I put my fence?
8. Is there a copy of previous site plan for my property in your office?
9. How close can my patio / driveway / sidewalk be to my property line?
10. Are there certain things that I am restricted from building on my property in my subdivision?
11. Do I have different rules since I live on a corner lot?
12. I am replacing the sign face at my business location, with no increase in the sign dimensions. Do I need a new permit?
13. How many signs are allowed for a commercial business?
14. Who do I make the check out to? Does the Planning Department accept credit cards?
15. How soon after an application has been submitted can I begin work?
16. Can I park my car in my yard?
17. Do I need a permit to have a garage sale?
18. Is it a law that I have to have the address displayed on my home or business?
19. My dog lives outside and the neighbors have informed me that he barks all of the time, am I violating any laws?
20. I am selling my home - am I allowed to place a sale sign between the curb and the sidewalk?
21. I received a citation from a Code Enforcement Officer. What do I do next?
22. I am replacing an existing structure. Do I need a permit?
23. How can I add to my driveway or parking on my property?